This is a part of my "keepin' it real" self.
This is NOT PG-13.
You may not agree, you may not like it but I will never apologize for supporting our troops.
I found this in a folder full of stuff my husband had brought home last year from one of his training conferences. I don't know where he got it. Probably somewhere between suicide prevention classes and the bar. It has been up on our bulletin board for a while now and I thought I would share a little piece of what being a soldier truly is. I don't know who wrote it. But it could have been written by anyone serving. Literally.
War is not a made for tv movie and it is not a video game.
I am typing it exactly how it is written.
THINGS YOU SHOULD BRING TO WAR
1. 8 PT Shirts (there is contract laundry once a week)
2. 8 PT Shorts
3. The best pillow money can buy.
4. 2 sets of sheets
5. A blanket from home (notice HOME, not military stuff)
6. 8 Army T-Shirts
7. 8 white socks
8. Tennis shoes
9. Polarized sunglasses
10. Swimming trunks
11. Buy your own holster and ammo pouch
12. Get a magazine subscription before you leave. That way you'll start getting it when you arrive.
13. Computer games (time drags in Iraq)
14. MP3 Player. Load it before you leave
15. Plenty of photos of family. (I wish I had brought more)
16. Nice fold up chair
17. Laptop (this is a MUST) Some units have internet right to your bunk
18. If you can get more then three flight suits, then get more. You'll sweat a lot in the cock pit until that air conditioner gets turned on (sorry, forgot, the UH-60 doesn't have ac)
19. Bring a civilian towel for the shower
20. Anything that will make you feel at home, or at least remind you of home.
21. Two weeks of pogey-bait (no more)
22. Get a contact back home to have cigars shipped to you
23. Bose noise cancellation headset. Those F-16's take off at the worst time. It is very noisy here.
24. DVD movies and Tv show collections
25. Set up your laptop for video conferencing with your home computer. Some of our guys did, it works great.
26. Good coffee
27. Your favorite soap and shampoo
THINGS YOU SHOULD LEAVE BEHIND
1.TV's, VCR's, DVD's and refrigerators (They sell them at the PX, plus people leaving will probably sell you their equipment at a cheaper price.)
2. Your ego. You guys will get on each others nerves eventually.
3. Yourself. Don't come here. Stay at home with your families. This stuff is for the young who don't appreciate the finer things in life; like not having to crap every time you take a malaria pill; or not having to wear your vest and helmet everywhere; it honestly sucks. If it sucked anymore we'd be caught in a vacuum. If you gathered every porn star and they had a great suck off it would not compare to how much it sucks in Iraq. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do my part for my country, but we have got to pick some better places to go to war.
4. Remember the PX is not great but sufficient. So don't worry if you leave something behind.
Then it ends...........
Kind of weird looking at it that way right? The very human aspect of it. These are just ordinary people who do extrordinary things. Things we will never have to do. They fight the very real fight and we sit back and drink our Starbucks. They will see things, endure things that we will never have to endure. And I hear people saying how we are in an illegal war, then that would mean soldiers are criminals right? I hear "I appreciate our troops but I don't support the war", "I admire our troops but I despise war". Well let me tell you what I despise. I despise people who kill innocents in the name of God, I despise IED's, I despise men who blend into civilian population and blow an entire market place to hell, I despise people who strap bombs to children dead and alive! WAKE UP! This is war not Fantasyland and if you don't want it on your doorstep then support the mission. And if you think it can't come here you are nuts. If you think that if we just leave them alone they will leave us alone then you're on crack. Notice those cowards didn't go after military installations on 9-11 they went after civilians. They want us all DEAD! They hate our way of life, our values all of it. Forever and ever and ever. There is no peace for terrorists until every last American is dead. That means you too. No matter how politically correct you are, what religion you are , what race you are. You are American! Al Quida, Taliban, Hamas whoever you want to look at. We give up and they will be relentless. These groups prey on the weak. Women, children, the poor. And I don't know about you but I like being able to get health care and an education even though I have a vagina, going out after the sun sets, going out without a male escort, choosing who I marry, not worrying about being stoned to death if I was God forbid raped, I like to sing, I like to dance and if one day I want to own a parakeet I will damn it!! These are just a few of the laws that are enforced and you will obey if you live under the Taiban regime. Look up "Sharia" law and you'll shit yourself.
So keep this in mind.
If you do not support the mission you do not support the troops.
Period end of sentence.
Which is fine just don't tell me you do when you really don't.
Educate yourself before making that decision (and I do not mean listening to the rhetoric of the news channels).
They are a voluntary force.
And believe me they are a force.
and they say this, think this and live this with conviction.......
I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values.
I WILL ALWAYS PLACE THE MISSION FIRST.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough,trained and proficient in my Warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage and destroy the enemies of the
United States of America in close combat.
I AM A GAURDIAN OF FREEDOM AND THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE.
I am an American soldier.
(*see there MISSION FIRST!)
To all of those who serve today, all of those who have served in the past and to all that have given up their lives for this country of ours I thank you. I appreciate you, I support you and your mission. Get home safe, get home strong. For without those who sacrifice we are all fucked.
An American soldier's wife
P.S. Want to get involved? Now you have a list of what they need. Socks, towels, good pillows, DVD's, pogey bait is non issued food like candy and such, magazines and etc. etc..........